12 August 2011

Basic Stamp Carving

more stamping by cookievf
more stamping, a photo by cookievf on Flickr.

Why buy basic shapes when you can carve them yourself! A few months ago I managed my first attempt at basic carving with a Speedball lino cutting tool and a block of flexible, pink Speedy-Carve. Dick Blick carries a 9" x 11 3/4" sheet for $21.00. Erasers are great for carving too!. And don't forget to save your wine corks :D

I stamped this "sample set" with a brown pigment inkpad on a sheet of blank newspaper; a nice weight to use in collage. I also used it to make my painted background papers, shown in an earlier blog post and on flickr as well. View the carved stamps and the painted papers here.

5 comments:

Mary said...

You are so right,I have the equipment to make my own stamps but have only made a a couple. but you have inspired me to have another go. I am not sure I could manage any as detailed as yours.

Whispers and Wishes said...

great first try-- heck, great even after some practice! I found you via BGC and am so glad i got a chance to stop by. I love your photos below of New England... grew up there and have such a soft spot in my heart for it. You can visit me at http://www.whispersandwishes.blogspot.com

Sandra van Doorn said...

i am just discovering your blog, post by post, came here via “the beauty of sorrow” ) and .. i LOVE it! so glad i found you! (think you just got yourself a new follower!) x sandra

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much Vicki for your kind words at Beauty of Sorrow. Truly means a bunch. I am now following your blog, hope you don't mind.
Hugs,
Maggie

Karenann Young said...

I love your painting pages! I'd love to see them on Facebook, but I don't know your "name" on Facebook!