08 February 2008

Juliet is the Sun

My love affair with the works of Shakespeare began four decades ago, at just 12 years old. That was the year I studied "The Merchant of Venice" in Mrs. Van Ryper's 7th grade English class.. lucky me!

~ this is for you ~

"moon envy"

"But soft! What light through yonder window breaks?

It is the east, and Juliet is the sun.

Arise, fair sun, and kill the envious moon,

Who is already sick and pale with grief

That thou, her maid, art far more fair than she."

- Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare, first published in 1597
- The Balcony Scene - Act 2, Scene 2



Incredibly, this timeless story of "star-crossed lovers" was written over 400 years ago! Imagine how empty our lives would be without our rich history of art and literature?

9 comments:

bockel24 said...

I´m a Shakespeare lover, too (always reading his words loud because of the sound I love), and your collage is beautiful!

Seth said...

Lovely piece. The background is really wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful piece. Love the colors and love the rest of the post :o)

Aimeslee Winans said...

Love your piece - did you draw the tree? Love the leaves...

cookievf said...

Thanks marion, seth, audrey and aimes!! Yes, that's my tree sketch.. I want to draw again so, baby steps! (and I started a sketching journal - see flickr)

Unknown said...

this is beautiful!

laurel said...

That's beautiful! I'm enjoying looking at your photographs and artwork.

Lisa Renéa said...

Wow! This is fabulous!!!

carylsrealm said...

This is beautiful!